Seven Oaks House is one of the oldest surviving residences in Manitoba and one of a handful of log buildings remaining, which give a picture of life at Red River during the nineteenth century. Built in 1851-53 primarily of wood, the home of John Inkster and Mary Sinclair Inkster is today a valuable part of the province's heritage. The house takes its name from a nearby creek where seven large oak trees once stood, marking the site of the Battle of Seven Oaks fought in 1816 between Red River colonists and representatives of the North West Company.
The house was residence to the Inkster family until 1912 when it was turned over to the City of Winnipeg. The house opened as a museum in 1958. Today its furnishings, many of them original to the red river settlement era, depict the lifestyle of the Inkster family.
Seven Oaks House Museum seeks to promote community pride and understanding of early Manitoba history through guided tours, school programming (focus towards Grade 5-9 Canadian History studies), and community events including Doors Open, and the yearly Summer Open House Community Appreciation BBQ.